Re: Who builds YOUR binary RPMs?

I think there is a rather simple reason why .rpms are everywhere but
.debs isn't.

The rpm based distributions are so much smaller that important
functionality is missing, thus forcing many people to go and build
rpms for their favourite software. Since debian is so big, there is
very little software not already presented by a debian developer.

And I disagree that rpms are very simple to do. Been there, done that,
hated it - a lot. Doing a package is no more difficult with dpkg
than with rpm. Doing a *good* package, catering for all the different
and impossible situations it may be presented to is a tough job, no
matter what system you are using. The standards are probably somewhat
higher in the debian world, and that may be what put people off.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8738 2228       | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)