Re: installing- last try before win98

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 10:33:01AM -0800, smoke wrote:
> i downloaded the files from the getting started, dos install. i have
> install, linux
> drv1440.bin, loadlin.exe, root.bin,resc1440.bin and base2_1.tgz.
> i run the install bat and get a command to enter kernal name. i tried
> linux and nothing
> happens. WHAT IS THE KERNEL out of these files? IS LINUX SUPPOSED TO
> HAVE
> AN EXTENSION?
> IF I DO GET AN INSTALLATION TO WORK WILL I SEE A GRAPHICS PAGE OR
> JUST
> #
> #
> #
> # ?
> i want to learn linux, but if it is uninstallable without knowing unix
> commands i will
> buy windows 98.
> i have compacted a second harddrive, and ran fips. i have two
> partitions. i have the
> files required according to the getting started page in a file on the
> dos partition.
> WHAT DO I TYPE IN FOR THE KERNAL?
> is the base 2-1.tgz a compressed file i have to unzip?

Ouch ... there's no need to shout ...

There is copious documentation on how to install Debian GNU/Linux,
you just have to surf over to www.debian.org and download the
appropriate material.  It explains it better than I could, but
to answer your questions :

rescue.bin contains the kernel

root.bin contains the root (core) filesystem, which contains a
skeleton Unix framework and installation program.

drv1440.bin contains kernel modules to make your Debian system
work with your hardware.

By writing a floppy with the image of these files (using
a tool such as rawrite2.exe under DOS) you can boot with the
first, it will prompt you for the others at the appropriate
time.

You will then be running the installation program which will
install the basic system held in the base2_1.tgz file.

You then have a minimal system, which can use several methods
to install the other packages you'll want, from CD, the net,
etc.

Any problems, try the docs.  If you're still stuck, post here.
It will be difficult at first without previous Unix experience,
but it's worth it.

I would also recommend reading the Linux HOWTOs on anything
you're not sure on e.g. disk partitioning, network stuff etc.
I've learned a ton of stuff from there.

Best of luck.

--
Regards,