Re: installing- last try before win98

smoke wrote:

> thanks for taking the time to help.
> it was a corrupt file. now i get through the install up to picking a computer
> profile. i pick "dialup" configuration so it only installs programs i need for
> a home computer system and it asks where my .deb files are located.
> i tried the hard drive where base 2_1.tgz is located. they are not there,
> i tried the mounted drive and it can't find them there. i assumed the .deb files
> were included in the base file. maybe not. so i am going to find the .deb package
> and put them on a floppy and tell the install they are located there. i assume i have
> to use the rawrite to do this?
> thanks again.

A typical Debian install is done in two phases: the base install, which is just enough to
have a minimal system, and the rest of the install, which includes such fancies as the
X Window System and emacs and samba and anything else you might want to install. The
base_2_1.tgz file, and what you've installed so far, is only the base portion.

In order to finish the install with the "dialup" configuration you need to either have
the .debs stored locally (on a DOS partition or floppies, etc) which is generally not
very efficient, or you need a Debian CD-ROM or better yet, a net connection.

If you have a net connection (LAN, modem + ISP, etc), you'll need to get that working
before you can finish up the install. The base install typically has everything you need
to get your LAN or ISP connection working. (Be aware that most internal PCI modems are
"winmodems" and won't work with Linux, so you may need to invest in a real modem in order
to finish up.) Alternatively, you could download the .debs to your DOS partition or to
floppies, but I assure you that's a pain. Or as mentioned, you can acquire a Debian CD,
but a net connection would get you newer packages than you'd likely get from a CD.