Re: question on modconf

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:24:52AM +0000, john smith wrote:
> I have successfully updated my kernel from 2.2.13 to 2.2.14 but when I
> issued the command modconf I noticed that there are only two categories of
> modules misc and net, what happened to the rest? and furthermore, the
> modules that are in the misc and net are incomplete compared to the modules
> from out of the box 2.2.13. do I have to install something else to make the
> category of modules complete? I think I may be missing something? there were
> no error messages or missing files by the way when I compiled the new
> kernel.

The Debian kernels include just about every module (as do most
distro's), so that new installations can work on diverse hardware. When
you compiled your own kernel, you only selected modules for the hardware
you actually have, so the others didn't get built at all.

As long as you have all the modules you need, don't worry about it. If
you're missing something you require, then go back and check your kernel
config.

--
  finger for GPG public key.