question on modconf

I have successfully updated my kernel from 2.2.13 to 2.2.14 but when I issued the command modconf I noticed that there are only two categories of modules misc and net, what happened to the rest? and furthermore, the modules that are in the misc and net are incomplete compared to the modules from out of the box 2.2.13. do I have to install something else to make the category of modules complete? I think I may be missing something? there were no error messages or missing files by the way when I compiled the new kernel.

any info will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.