Re: new install with apt-get

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 07:46:51PM -0700, Brett Fowlkes wrote:
> Some of the packages on the Debian Cd are outdated.  Is there anyway I can
> put in a source when I install Debian that will download all the newest
> ones?  I have a fairly fast connection.

Exactly what apt-get does best. Add something like this to
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

Change that to Woody if you want the very latest.

Then:

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get dist-upgrade

However, be prepared for some problems.  You might run into difficulty
with the perl and libc upgrades, for instance.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |