Re: new install with apt-get

you can edit you /etc/apt/sources.list.  Try adding/editing:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

If you don't want to use unstable, change it to stable.

I believe that I understood you question correctly?  If not, well,
correct me.

--
Marshal Wong
(Yes, that is my first name. Not a title.)

Bitter?  I'm not bitter, just battle-hardened.