Re: ATI Video Card Support

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 12:34:19PM -0800, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> What ATI Video cards are best supported by Linux and X Windows?  I was thinking
> of:
>  ATI Xpert 98
>  ATI Xpert@Play
>  XTI Xpert 99
>  ATI Xpert 128
>  ATI Rage Fury
>  ATI All-in-Wonder 128
>
> What experiences does anyone else have with these cards?

I have an Xpert @work 98 (PCI 8MB) and it works fairly good in X, not so
good in console yet (SVGAlib support is iffy/depreciated, fb is still
being worked on)
There is a GLX (3D hardware acceleration/opengl) module in development
at utah-glx.openprojects.net (I think) which I found while looking for
Matrox info, interestingly enough. On my K6/233, my framerate jumped
from about 0.2fps with software rendering to about 37fps with hardware
acceleration (as according to the gears demo in the Mesa source)

I hear the AGP cards work better (but you neet the agpgart support from
the development kernel) but I have none to test. And 16bpp seems to be a
bit faster on the rendering.

Hope this helps.