Off topic: Where does the group wheel come from?

Hi

A buddy of mine asked me this question to which I haven't a clue:

"History of Unix question for you: where does group wheel come from?

"I unzipped the classes that come with Netscape, and like a lot of
stuff, the files I unzipped were group wheel. I think there might
have been a uid that went along with that, and I suspect they come
out of ucb.

"Clues?

Anybody have a historical bent? Where does the group wheel come
from?

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.