Re: apt-get -b

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Sean Johnson wrote:

> I like to use apt-move to create a local mirror of all the packages I've
> installed. This makes it easy to keep the other machines on my home lan
> up to date. All I do is make the apt-move directory (in my case it's on

Thanks; it works fine.

> /mirror) mountable via nfs by all local machines, and go from there.

I added:
Alias /debian/ /mirrors/debian/
to my /etc/apache/srm.conf, so that I could do apt-get to the server where
my Apache lives. (Of course, the /etc/apt/sources.list on my local machine
had been updated to reflect the new configuration.) After an "apt-move
localupdate", my server became a Debian distro server; configured with
all the installed packages on the server.

BTW, although this setting is neat (I could save some bandwidth), I have
to do "apt-get -d install new_package" and "apt-move localupdate" on the
server every time I want to have a package to be available on the server.
It would be nice if apt-move were working like Squid, become a daemon
that's waiting on the background and serving every package request from
any clients; storing the downloaded packages on the local disk and
building the local Apt database automatically. In other words, there's
still a problem (ie: making Apt to be not that cool) when the package you
request is not yet available on your local package server.

The above setup would make sites with slow connection happy. Those with
faster connections, IMHO, would like to have someting like "apt-mbone"
daemon; for getting the package upgrade via multicast.

Oki