latest netbase messed up my system (potato)

I have figured out what is going on with my machine after 15 reboots.
I can ping the other machine on my home network but if I connect to the net I
cannot do anything until I do 'ipchains -F'.  I can restart my ipchains rules
and all is well until the next time I need to reboot.  At that time, I need to
restart my ipchains rules when I connect to the net the first time.

This was not a problem until yesterday's upgrade.
Any ideas what is REALLY the problem?  I do not have the problem if I leave
out (don't start) ipchains when I reboot.  My network settings are still in
/etc/init.d/network

BTW I am using kernel 2.2.14 and ppp (modem).

thanks

--
Andrew