Re: Thank you, Corel, for PPP

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Hans wrote:

> Huh, what is setserial used for? I thought this didn't have any effect with
> pcmcia. --Hans
>
> BTW, what are you running: Slink, Potato or Corel? Where did you get the
> upgraded packages?

Hi, Hans,

I do not know the exact relation. The following is quota from the bug
tracking system (#56482):
---------------------begin---------------------
From: Ross Paterson <ross@soi.city.ac.uk>
...(del)...
The last line of /etc/init.d/setserial:

${SETSERIAL} -bg ${ALLDEVS}

examines all serial devices, even those that will be controlled by
pcmcia-cs.  (It runs before /etc/init.d/pcmcia-cs does.)  Somehow this
causes them to fail when pcmcia-cs takes over.  Without this line,
the modem works.
...(del)...
---------------------end------------------------
You can browse the debian web for the details.

I am currently using potato (frozen) and got these upgraded package
by apt-get.

ii  setserial      2.17-7         Controls configuration of serial ports.
ii  ppp            2.3.11-1.1     Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon.
ii  pppconfig      2.0.4          A text menu based utility for configuring pp
ii  pcmcia-cs      3.0.12-3       PCMCIA Card Services for Linux.

I hope these packages can solve your modem problem, too.

	Best regards,

  Jonathan Chang