Re: Kitchen sink and Linux?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Chirag wrote:

> Dear debian users
>
>     I would like to draw your attention to certain ugly an unlinuxy comment
> on the web site of a
>  Linux distribution about other distribution(s).
>
> Quoting from
> http://www.calderasystems.com/support/docs/2.3/gsg/introduce.html
>
> Improved best-of-class package selection, with each Linux application
> carefully chosen to be more useful and refined than the "everything but the
> kitchen sink" products from some Linux packagers
>
> Unquote.
>
> This is an obvious reference to debian if not for others, which is the
> largest distribution and include
> most freely available packages.  I strongly feel that this kind of comments
> is very bad for Linux and
> should be ripped in the bud itself and what is justfication for this when
> the company seems to benefitting
> from the works of millions of developers who test and 'robust'fy
> applications that may have been called
> toilet bowl applications in the near past.

I may be unaware of some implications that you know of, but I don't feel
that it would refer on debian.

I think rather it refers on the individuals doing the packaging. And I
don't think that debian has so bad reputation concerning the quality of
packaging the softwares...

Redhat is a totally different quality however (kitchen sink quality does
apply for redhat).

Robert Varga