umask for root

Hi all,

I changed my umask for root to 077. I'm not certain if that was
wise. I'm also not certain if it's the cause of my headache with my
attempt to install StarOffice.

I do a net installation and am able to install as root, but I can't
install as a normal user. It turns out that the permissions on the
SO directories are whacked. I can't get into most of them as a
normal user.

Now I'm not sure if the problem is with the umask for root, or if
it's because I've left the /usr/local partition alone during my
flings with of flavors of Linux. The /usr/local and all subdirs
seemed to be owned by root.staff. I chown -R'd them to root.root,
and attempted to reinstall SO, but no luck.

Anyway, all this ranting brings me to the point of this post: what's
the default umask for the root account?

Thanks

PS: If there's something else I'm doing wrong here, and you know
what it might be, could ya give me a hint? TIA
 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (