Re: umask for root

umask on my systems for root is 022

nate

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Mark Wagnon wrote:

mwagno >Hi all,
mwagno >
mwagno >I changed my umask for root to 077. I'm not certain if that was
mwagno >wise. I'm also not certain if it's the cause of my headache with my
mwagno >attempt to install StarOffice.
mwagno >
mwagno >I do a net installation and am able to install as root, but I can't
mwagno >install as a normal user. It turns out that the permissions on the
mwagno >SO directories are whacked. I can't get into most of them as a
mwagno >normal user.
mwagno >
mwagno >Now I'm not sure if the problem is with the umask for root, or if
mwagno >it's because I've left the /usr/local partition alone during my
mwagno >flings with of flavors of Linux. The /usr/local and all subdirs
mwagno >seemed to be owned by root.staff. I chown -R'd them to root.root,
mwagno >and attempted to reinstall SO, but no luck.
mwagno >
mwagno >Anyway, all this ranting brings me to the point of this post: what's
mwagno >the default umask for the root account?
mwagno >
mwagno >Thanks
mwagno >
mwagno >PS: If there's something else I'm doing wrong here, and you know
mwagno >what it might be, could ya give me a hint? TIA
mwagno >--
mwagno > ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
mwagno >(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (
mwagno >