Re: RFC: NO, THE X SERVERS SHOULD NOT DEPEND ON XFONTS-BASE

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 07:16:24PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Branden> In a stressful time like freeze, it is really aggravating
>     Branden> to deal with the nonstop trickle of people who tell me
>     Branden> that because *THEIR* system is broken, I need to add a
>     Branden> DEPENDENCY on xfonts-base to all the X servers, or to
>     Branden> xserver-common.
>
> I might be on the wrong foot here...
>
> However, you already have a program that checks /etc/XF86Config for
> errors before xdm starts (gdm doesn't use it, so I can't check).

Minor point: it's /etc/X11/XF86Config for Debian, not /etc/XF86Config

Major point: The program you refer is parse-xf86config, and it is going
away in 3.3.6-4; no one has time to keep it up to date with the myriad
bizarre options (some undocumented) that XF86Config uses.  I've already
removed it from my development tree for 3.3.6-4.  Besides, the reason for
its existence (to prevent xdm from starting and looping on a broken
XF86Config) has been otherwise addressed for quite some time.  xdm is now
well behaved on a broken config file, or any other factor that keeps it
from starting properly.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Any man who does not realize that he is
Debian GNU/Linux               |    half an animal is only half a man.