Re: Upgrading to potato

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 12:58:11PM +0100, fasanti@usc.es wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am going to upgrade from Debian slink 2.1 to potato. Can
>anybody tell me if I am wrong about the procedure? Actually,
>I am working with a spanish non-official Debian distribution
>and it includes apt-get, Kde, gnome, etc. I am not sure about
>the consequences of upgrading to the official distribution.

I can't tell you anything about upgrading from an unofficial distribution,
but I think there shouldn't be any problems.

You know that potato still isn't supposed to be stable, don't you?
Maybe you should wait some weeks for the stable release, although I
use potato for about four months now, sometimes with _very_ serious
bugs and broken dependencies that nearly broke my system.

I for my person will do the upgrade to woody this weekend, I think.
But I wouldn' recommand that to anybody who doesn't know what he's
doing!

>1) I need to change /etc/apt/sources.list so that it will only
>include the following lines:
>deb ftp://ftp.usc.es/pub/mirror/linux/debian potato main contrib
>non-free
>deb http://ceu.fi.udc.es/debian-non-US potato non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

Looks OK.

>2) Now, as root,
>dpkg --get-selections "*"

Never heard about that. apt-get uses dpkg as a backend, so it knows
what packages are installed on your system. I you think you need it,
use it, but I've done the upgrade without it.

>apt-get update

If you plan to use dselect to install packages in the future you might
want to run 'dselect update' instead so dselect also knows about the
package-lists.

>apt-get install apt debconf

looks OK...
Maybe it's a good idea to upgrade apt and install debconf, as you plan
to do, but I've also done it without that.

>apt-get -f dist-upgrade

If I were you, I'd try it without the -f before, and if it fails
upgrading, just start it again using the -f switch.

>Do I need to take any precaution to execute the aforementioned commands?
>I think that I do not have to change to single user mode, etc.

I think you won't have modem access in single user mode.
But after an upgrade I'd maybe reboot the system once. Due to the
glibc-upgrade there might be some problems without rebooting, although
the package tries to execute some work-arounds.

>3) From now on, if I want to upgrade to the latest release of potato I
>will have to do:
>apt-get update
>apt-get upgrade

That's it, but I always use dist-upgrade instead of upgrade. But that's
some kind of religious question I guess :-)
Are there any arguments against using dist-upgrade all the time?

Hope I could help you.

Tobias