Re: what is /etc/network/interfaces and if.up and if.down?

Ethan Benson wrote:
> apparently not, im trying to hold off judgement until there is real
> documentation

The file is documented well enough so you can figure it out; it has 72
lines of comments.

joey@kite:/tmp/netbase-3.17>grep -i 'unstable' etc-network-interfaces
joey@kite:/tmp/netbase-3.17>grep -i 'does not work' etc-network-interfaces
joey@kite:/tmp/netbase-3.17>

> but at
> first glance it brings back flashbacks of redhat's horrible
> /etc/sysconfig mess.  frankly it looks to me like this is just a
> concoction to satisfy that miserable linuxconf program then
> anything...

Not really. /etc/init.d/network has been clearly a broken implmentation for
a long, long, time. For example, everyone who upgraded a debian box to a
2.2 kernel has experienced the joy of having to go in and remove route
commands the kernel now handles automatically, to stop nasty error messages
from appearing on bootup. Debian is supposed to handle upgrade issues like
that automatically, but with a free-form shell script, you cannot.

--
see shy jo