Re: Hosed my system/fdisk can't read disk drive now.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 10:03:13AM -0600, ktb wrote:
> "Allan M. Wind" wrote:
> >
> > On 2000-02-24 09:40:21, ktb wrote:
> >
> > > I've pulled a real bone head deal it seems.  I decided to partition the
> > > HD on my new system so that I could put both Windows 98 and Slink on
> > > it.  I tried using fdisk under "dos" but it wouldn't let me delete the
> > > current partition so I used the Slink installation disk and cfdisk to
> > > partition my HD.  I cut the disk in half and added one partition "Win95
> > > FAT32 (LBA)" which was what it was before except that it took up the
> > > whole disk.  I marked it as bootable.  I then attempted to install W98
> > > and got the message "no HD found."  I went into the bios setup and the
> > > disk can't be detected.  I switched it to "auto" but no improvement.  I
> > > used the Slink installation cd again and found  I get the message "FATAL
> > > ERROR: Cannot read disk drive Press any key to exit fdisk."  I have no
> > > installation disks for this HD.  It is the HD that came with the
> > > system.  What the heck do I do now?
> >
> > You did use something to resize that win98 partition with besides
> > cfdisk, right?
>
> No I didn't.

Ouch.

Did you have anything on the disk initially, or not?  The way I read
your post (portions deleted), you didn't.

If you did, you're fairly much hosed, though it's possible to recover a
partition table from memory (yours, not the computer's).  I've done
this.  It's an exhilarating experience.

If you didn't, I'd boot a Linux distro (probably a micro distro like
Tom's Root/Boot or Linuxcares BBC), and create something like:

/dev/hda1:  Win98       ~1.5 - 2 GB
/dev/hda2:  Linux /     (30 - 100 MB)
/dev/hda3:  linux swap  (1* memsize, to 128 MB)
/dev/hda3:  Extended
/dev/hda4:  /var        200-500 MB
/dev/hda6:  /usr        2+ GB
/dev/hda7:  /home       ++

(I'm a fan of partitions <g> -- and actually have more on my home system,
though it has three fixed disks )

You should locate a bootable DOS floppy and try to access the hard drive
at this point.  You can then install an mbr (DOS:  FDISK /MBR), install
Windows, install Linux, install LILO, and add a boot stanza for Windows.

See the various multiboot HOWTOs.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)