Re: Hosed my system/fdisk can't read disk drive now.

On 2000-02-24 09:40:21, ktb wrote:

> I've pulled a real bone head deal it seems.  I decided to patition the
> HD on my new system so that I could put both Windows 98 and Slink on
> it.  I tried using fdisk under "dos" but it wouldn't let me delete the
> current partition so I used the Slink installation disk and cfdisk to
> partition my HD.  I cut the disk in half and added one partition "Win95
> FAT32 (LBA)" which was what it was before except that it took up the
> whole disk.  I marked it as bootable.  I then attempted to install W98
> and got the message "no HD found."  I went into the bios setup and the
> disk can't be detected.  I switched it to "auto" but no improvement.  I
> used the Slink installation cd again and found  I get the message "FATAL
> ERROR: Cannot read disk drive Press any key to exit fdisk."  I have no
> installation disks for this HD.  It is the HD that came with the
> system.  What the heck do I do now?

You did use something to resize that win98 parition with besides
cfdisk, right?  There's a tool called fips that can do the magic and
perhaps fsresize.

If you didn't drop any data on the new paritions, try to restore the
parition table to what it used to be.

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			Finger: wind@digit-safe.dyndns.org (GPG/PGP)