INN help

I`m getting the following error messages in  /var/log/news/news.err when I try to restart Innd

Feb 24 17:03:13 smalltown inndstart: inndstart cant setgroups Operation not permitted
Feb 24 17:03:13 smalltown inndstart: inndstart cant bind Permission denied

This happens when I run rc.news as root or as news. Inncheck is as follows:

$ /usr/lib/news/bin/inncheck
/etc/news/inn.conf:16: ends with whitespace
/etc/news/inn.conf:20: ends with whitespace
/etc/news/inn.conf:111: ends with whitespace

$ /usr/lib/news/bin/inncheck -perms
/usr/lib/news/bin/inews:0: missing
/usr/lib/news/bin/rnews:0: missing
/usr/lib/news/bin/tally.unwanted:0: missing
/usr/lib/news/bin/control/docheckgroups:0: missing

Everything worked before I changed  ISPs and altered inn.conf, even with the inncheck messages above.
As a start could someone tell me the proper way to start and stop innd because I`ve had nothing but trouble with it and the manual pages and online FAQs are a bloody nightmare.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Paul
--
Paul Walton                 * Powered by *
Cambridge                * Debian GNU Linux *