Re: Troubleshooting My PPP

Lane Lester wrote:

> I tried the command George Bonser suggested:
> echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
> but that had no effect.
>
> He also suggested turning off all ppp header compression, but I could
> not find where that is specified.
>
> Does the /etc/ppp/options file get read before each dialup, or only once
> for each login?

Yes.  Potentially, though, it could be getting overridden by another,
more specifically targeted file.  pon uses the /etc/ppp/peers/provider
file; maybe wvdial does too; don't know.  Maybe you should show us what
*that* file looks like.

> I tried some editing of the file, but nothing I did made
> any difference. Here is a copy of the options file without any comments:
> asyncmap 0
> auth
> crtscts
> lock
> modem
> mru 542
> proxyarp
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 4
> noipx
>
> Are any of the other files in /etc/ppp important?

Potentially, yes.  See above, and (2) below.

Four things:

(1) Stick the debug option in your options file, then look at
/var/log/ppp.log, or wherever the messages end up going (depends on your
syslog.conf).  Somewhere in /var/log!  Show *us* what the output is.

(2) Take a look at your pap-secrets and chap-secrets files and see if
they make sense.  Let *us* see them, but take out your password!

(3) What kind of modem do you have?  Maybe someone else knows the right
magic incantations for that modem.

(4) What provider do you have?  Maybe someone else knows the right magic
incantations for that provider.

> Keith Murphy mentioned modem init strings. Kppp in Corel Linux uses only
> ATZ, but I see that wvdial, which I'm using in Debian, has the following
> strings:
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0

You could try taking out or modifying that second string and seeing what
happens...