Re: devices compatible list

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 11:58:50PM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
> On 2000-02-22 20:24:10, Bret Rice wrote:
>
> > Would appreciate a direct to a list of devices which are conmpatible
> > with Debian.  My particular interest at the moment is 3Com 509 vs 905
> > cards.
>
> Got two 905 in my box and haven't noticed any problem.  In the past, I
> think the Intel EtherExpress Pro were favored though.  Might be worth
> exploring.

In my biased opinion EtherExpress Pros are pieces of crap and should
be avoided at all costs.  They constantly spew driver errors.  I've
locked up machines after shoving a lot of traffic through them.

I do like the Netgear FA-310TX cards ... they're cheap but I've yet to
make one puke.  3Com are ok but expensive.  RTL8139 cards are cheap
and perform ok though according to the driver source the physical
design sucks.  AMD makes a card that uses the pcnet32 driver (IBM uses
these as onboard for the Netfinity line and also as their "redundant"
NIC; I assume other people sell them too).  Driver versions are
important for this card as anything pre-2.2.13 would spew into the kernel
log every now and again.

My advice, get a Netgear or some other tulip-based card.

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7                       "Eschew Obfuscation"