Re: Netscape Installation, how?

As you may have noticed from the various replies, there's two ways to
install Netscape with dpkg. If you're using slink, Kent West posted the
default method:

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 09:27:27AM -0600, Kent West wrote:

> Because of licensing issues, Debian doesn't have the Netscape binary;
> it does have a .deb installer that will install the Netscape binary
> and register it with dpkg, etc.
>
> You will need to download the Netscape binary yourself, from
> [www|ftp].netscape.com; I've always had more success with ftp. You'll
> have to drill down through the directories (pub, then
> ...english...etc, etc...) to the correct file (something like
> "communicator-4.7-linux-glibc-tar-can-this-filename-be-any-longer-tar.gz")
> and download it (don't forget to "bin" before "get"). Put this file in
> the /tmp directory, then either do an "apt-get install netscape4" or
> dselect the netscape4 package.

In potato and woody (and backported to slink), changes in the Netscape
licensing allow inclusion in non-free. For potato and woody, it's simply
a matter of apt-get installing the "communicator" or "navigator"
packages (these will pull all required dependancies). For slink, you'll
want the apt sources John Miskinis suggested:

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 07:58:27AM -0800, John Miskinis wrote:

> I have only installed netscape 4.5 , on slink, and never had
> to download it by hand.  I used apt-get as follows:
>
>    apt-get install communicator-smotif-45
>    apt-get install netscape-java-45
>
> You will only need the second package if you wish to run java.
>
> My sources.list in case I have something special in it is:
>
> deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ slink-update main
> deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ xfree-update main
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US