Re: MacOS X (was Re: What *is* Gnome/KDE?)

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > I'm kind of curious - what makes you say MacOS X isn't a full unix?  I
> > run OSX Server on a couple machines and it seems pretty full to me -
> > most stuff builds with ./configure;make
>
> Interesting. My understanding was that MacOS X wasn't a full Unix.  I'm
> often wrong.
>
> Could you provide pointers to the Unixy features of MacOS X?  Are the
> standard Unix features and utilities provided or do you have to obtain
> them independently

120+ day uptime, tcsh, bash, gcc (tho a apple version that groks the
mach-o format OSX uses), perl, the usual suspects library-wise, crontab,
sendmail (which I promptly ripped out in favor of postfix), apache.  No
X Window yet, but I hear John Carmack is porting it.  python was a
fairly simple build as I recall.

Anything in particular you're looking for, feature wise?

My sole complaint unix-wise is that most of the c-l tools are bsd and
I'm more accustomed to the gnu versions, but that was easy enough to
fix.   The first thing I do on a non-linux box is build gnu fileutils,
bash, make and gcc, so that wasn't a big deal.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.