Unidentified subject!

Subject: Re: What *is* Gnome/KDE?
--------
aphro added,
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Joe Block wrote:

> jpb >I'm kind of curious - what makes you say MacOS X isn't a full unix?  I
> jpb >run OSX Server on a couple machines and it seems pretty full to me -
> jpb >most stuff builds with ./configure;make

> i dont think it can qualify as real unix(not that linux does either) i
> think it just uses a BSD kernel and cross breed between NeXT and macos
> technology, i dont think it uses X as it's display system.  it is very
> unix like though. can run most unix apps.

"very unix" ? A unix kernel, all of the unix commands and utilities,
a unix file system--what more could you possibly ask before calling it
unix???

Also, I don't think I've ever heard it disputed that NeXT is unix.  X,
however, is not integral to unix, but a (fairly standard) addition.

> calling Mac OS X unix would be kinda like calling BeOS unix since it has
> unix commands and can compile stuff too..

No, because BeOS isn't unix underneath; it's its own thing that can use
some unix pieces.  MacOS X is unix with a mac display.  My understanding is
that X apps will display on the MacOS display.

hawk