Re: What *is* Gnome/KDE?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 07:27:11AM -0600, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:
> Karsten kried,
>
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 04:00:35PM -0600, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>
> > > I have been playing around with Gnome and KDE and I do not understand
> > > what they really are!
>
> > Crutches for weak-minded lusers.
>
> > ...ok, that's enough gasoline, where'd I put the matches...
>
> here you go  . . . :)

;-P

> > On the developer side, there are corresponding toolkits for doing all
> > the same.  This includes object models and brokers, meaning you may be
> > able to integrate and break Linux programs in the same way you can
> > Windows ones....
>
> cross application cut and paste.  Come to think of it, that's the *only*
> thing I've seen either of these offer that I've seen any use for . . .
> I'm quite happy with xterms, LyX, and a nice grey interweaved desktop.
> Everythingt else takes extra cycles or screen real estate (and I'm not
> to happy that I can't remove the buttons within lyx for this same reason
> . . .)

...only when the X paste buffer isn't available.  It works pretty well
for me.  MSFT's six-action CnP just kills me.  Two clicks, that's all it
takes.  Though option to clear the target field would be nice....

> > > I know Gnome and KDE are called "environments", but they still only
> > > look like...errrm...a tweaked MS task bar and program launcher.
>
> > Funny, I see the same thing <g>.
>
> Nah, it's a tweak of the MS ripoff of MacOs 5.0/multifinder, with one
> or two $20 shareware extensions . . .

Wait!  The Alto!!  What about the Alto?!!

> > Well, aside from the all-too-cool dock on the right of my monitor....
> > Yes, I run WindowMaker and like it.  Clean, quick, handy keyboard
> > accelerators, stable.  I'll occasionally fire up KDE or Gnome for kicks.
>
> gee, do you kick puppies, too? :)  put hamsters in microwaves?

My lawyer will be in touch with you.  Don't move.

> > There's nothing "required" in Gnome or KDE.

I meant -- there's nothing required in Gnome or KDE that you can't get
without them.  Yes, there are requirements *for* both, particularly
memory (even my 96 MB box slows down under them).

> Yes there is--a gawdaweful amount of memory.  gnumeric might be useful
> on this 24M machine if a) it was anywhere near complete (though it
> has improved drastically in the past few months.  It can now do most
> of the calculations; it's just formatting data in any useful way that's
> an issue :), and b) it didn't need gazillions of support files.  I'm
> back to starcalc3 . . .
>
> Oh, and the dependency of gnumeric on gnome leads to gnomes dependencies
> on sound managagers and the like--even though there's no sound card . . .

Gee.  Fun.

> > nothing else running on commercial Unix that comes close (I'm not
> > counting Mac OS X as it's not based on X Windows and isn't a full Unix
> > despite its Mach core).
>
> But on top of the mach core there is a full unix as I understand it,
> including an Xserver that coexists with the mac display

More info?

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)