Static -vs- dynamic libc

I've got a software project that I'm trying to compile statically.  I need
to link in libstdc++-libc6.0-1.a.2 rather than the corresponding
.so. version, but I keep having problems with it.  I've used the
-Wl,-Bstatic and -Wl,-Bdynamic flags (I think correctly), but when I think
that I have that one lib linked statically, my application crashes
immediately upon starting.  The only way I've gotten it to work is to
rename the dynamic library to something else during compile/link, and then
put it back when the compile is over.  I dislike (intensely) having to
rename system libraries in such a manner.
What is going on here?
thanks

--
-bob

Particle physicists are always trying to hold a meeting, but
whenever they decide on a place, the time changes.
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    MS 0847 Sandia National Labs  *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *    Albuquerque NM 87185-0847     *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (505) 844-8606       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (505) 844-9297         *