Re: printcap help please

> steve >I ended up with the following in /etc/printcap
> steve >
> steve >lp|hpdj|HP Deskjet540:\
> steve >	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj:\
> steve >	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
> steve >	:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj500-filter:\
> steve >	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
>
> steve >I know /dev/lp0 is correct because I've gotten
> steve >output there for example with   ls >  /dev/lp0.
>

> steve >But when I try lpq or lpr I get
> steve >
> steve >no printcap for printer 'lp'
> steve >
> steve >and the lpr attempt also says "transfer to
> steve >lp@localhost failed"
> steve >
> steve >What's wrong with the file?
>>
>> what print spooler ar eyou using? if its lprng is it running? did you
>>restart it after setting up printcap ? my lpr has always been broken but
>>lpq does work:
>>
>> try printing from something like netscape, while *my* lpr is
>> broken(nothing happens when i use it, the job submits but then dissapears
>> witohut printing) and see if it does the same.
>>
>> nate

Sorry I can't try printing from Netscape or anything else. I have a
base system plus  lprng, magicfilter, and gs. That's it. As for
restarting lprng, 2 people have advised me to do that, but I'm new
enough to Unix/Linux/Debian that I need a specific command
spelled out.(didn't see anything about restart in the
documentation). I have rebooted, shouldn't that be enough? And as
for whether lprng is running, should I see "lprng" in the process list,
or what? I do know that lpd runs (which I thought was the spooler
that comes with lprng), because when I boot, I see it start. Also the
error message, if taken at face value, seems to mean that, indeed
the spooler is running, but doesn't like the printcap file(?)
Otherwise what process put out that message?

Steve