My own bootlogo

Greetings,

Has anyone here ever succeeded in installing their own bootlogo?  I've
tried to do this for some time now, but somehow I don't get it.  I use
ppm2logo from the logo-select kernel patch[1].  The problem is that it
segfaults every time after printing out half of the converted file.  I
don't think that something with the picture is wrong, as I also tried
it with one of the original pictures (converted back using `make
logos-256').

Pointers to some docs would also be helpful.

Thanks for any help,
Lars

[1] The patch is available at <http://www.clifford.at/misc/>
--
"..  Like I always say -- nothing can beat the BRATWURST
  here in DUSSELDORF!!"