Re: Sierra Screamin' 3-D (Rendition Verite 1000)

> I have installed various versions of linux on my old system and I have never been > able to run X in anything other than 640X480 with this video card.  Has anyone > worked with this card and overcome this problem? The monitor is a Compaq Presario > 140.

Make sure that you are running a newish version of Xfree86.  IIRC, support for Rendition chips was folded in to the main tree around version 3.3.5  If you are still running slink (like me), look at www.debian.org/~vincent for an updated version (and lots of other good stuff).

I believe that there is a Rendition specific readme in the Xfree86 doc tree.

When Xfree86 4.0 comes, there may be better support for Rendition chips (i.e. 2d acceleration).  I know that Dejan is actively working on it.  I run a Herc Thriller 3D (V2200).

Hope that this helps,

Mark