Re: GRUB Anyone?

Marshal Wong <masee@usa.net> writes:

> I don't believe that installing the package makes grub as your
> boot-loader.  At least, that was when I tried quite a few months ago.

It still does not do so.  To get yourself started you should read
/usr/share/doc/grub/README.debian and the grub info-files.

The most confusing part about GRUB is it's different partition naming
scheme.  From `The easy guide to installing Hurd'[1]:
[...]
 GRUB (the Hurd bootloader) uses a different partition naming system:
 it calls partitions (hdN,n), but this time the disk number and
 partition number are both zero indexed, and the disks run in order,
 all the IDE disks first, and the SCSI ones second. This time, the
 third partition on the second IDE drive will be (hd1,2) ((hd1,2)
 could refer to the first SCSI drive if you only have one IDE drive,
 or it could refer to the second IDE drive).
[...]

The steps needed for installation are:

* Create a linux rescue disk (if you don't have one already)! :-)

* Copy the files in /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/ to /boot/grub

* Create a bootfloppy:
 $ cd /boot/grub/
 $ dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
 $ dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

* Boot from this floppy (using the command line interface):
 grub> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 [other bootargs]
 grub> boot

Note: (hd0,0) should be the *GRUB* name of the partition with the
kernel image.  Use filename-completion(!) to verify that you got it
right -- `(hdn,n)/vml<tab>' should give you the correct filename.
Also root=/dev/xxx should be the right device name of your root
partition.

* Copy the example menu.lst from /usr/share/doc/grub to /boot/grub and
edit it to suit your needs.

* Boot from the floppy again and install grub into your mbr:
 grub> install (fd0)+1 (hd0) (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 p
(again using the correct values for (hd0,0) of course)

* Finally: Remove the floppy and reboot.

Note: The next time you want to change something just edit the
menu.lst file (no need to reinstall GRUB)!

> I was also unable to got grub to boot Linux, but I didn't try very
> hard.  I was more interested in booting HURD.

Strange... I had no such problems.

> Now, that wasn't very helpful at all! :)

I hope this was :-)

>     > Has anyone tried to use grub on a potato dist?  I just
>     > downloaded and installed the package (wich seems to co-exist
>     > with lilo) but I haven't rebooted yet... I'm a little
>     > apprehensive to reboot.  Any problems I can learn from?

The above worked for me -- it may or may not work for you.

Regards,
Lars

[1] <http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html>
--
"..  Like I always say -- nothing can beat the BRATWURST
  here in DUSSELDORF!!"