Linux and PS/2

Sorry, being the newbie I am I have little or no understanding of the difficulties I face as yet.  Anyway, what I can tell you right now is that I do not have a mouse at all when Linux boots into a command line environment.  In addition, when I try "startx", the program runs and I have an X icon, but the mouse will not move it.  As far as error messages are concerned, I don't seem to see any either before or after X boots.
Thanks again,