Re: Linux and PS/2

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 06:23:22PM -0500, Brendan O'Brien wrote:

> Mike--
>
> Sorry, being the newbie I am I have little or no understanding of the
> difficulties I face as yet.  Anyway, what I can tell you right now is
> that I do not have a mouse at all when Linux boots into a command line
> environment.  In addition, when I try "startx", the program runs and
> I have an X icon, but the mouse will not move it.  As far as error
> messages are concerned, I don't seem to see any either before or after
> X boots.

Oh that's okay.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  Just to let you know,
in general when asking a question like this on a list it's usually better
to give more information than you think is actually necessary.  What may
look like meaningless gibberish to you may well be the exact info that
someone might need to solve your problem.

With the problem you are having, the first thing I would check is what
exact device X is looking for the mouse on.  IIRC the default is
/dev/mouse  This device is normally linked to where your mouse actually
resides.  Entering the command:
ls -l /dev/mouse
on my system - I use a trackball connected to a PS/2 port - gives:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 Feb 17 19:53 /dev/mouse -> psaux

What this means is that the mouse device is linked to the psaux device.
This is the "usual" way of doing this kind of thing.  So try typing the
command I show and tell us what *exactly* the result is.  This is
important - when you get an error message or are asked to run a certain
command please make every effort to tell *exactly* what the result was.
Paraphrasing the results is a common mistake that many newbies make.
I know - I did it when I first started. ::grin::
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"