Re: Is Debian going to run on my machine?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 03:28:34AM -0800, Rong Shen wrote:
> Hi:
>
>   I am thinking of doing away with Windows completely
> and using Debian. But Microsoft has suckered me into
> buying a bunch of hardware that I am reluctant to
> throw away. Specifically, I have

Suggestions:

Check the _Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO_ for your hardware or
equivalent chipsets
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-13.html)

RedHat maintains a seperate HW compatibility list:
http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld.html

Search DejaNews for kewords Linux + hardware identifier.  This is
sometimes the most productive route.

I'd also recommend contacting the manufacturer directly and asking
whether or not the device is supported under Linux, and requesting that
either it be supported, or that support information be provided, if it
isn't.

> (1) a printer (HP color deskjet 722C),

Possibly, though this may be a WinPrinter.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-30.html

Yes:  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.5

> (7) an ATAPI 24x CR-ROM,

Yes.  ATAPI CDROMs are supported.

Probably:  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-22.html

> (4) an AOpen FM56-ITU modem

Probably not, you got suckered here
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-30.html)
Note that a decent 56k external modem isn't too expensive.

> (5) an SiS 5597/5598 display adapter (on motherboard)

Yes, per several Deja posts from people using it.

> (6) a CMI 8330 Audio adapter (on motherboard)

Looks like it.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-13.html

>   I checked the Linux web site. It does not say it
> will or will not support these hardware. I posted a
> message on USENet and some suggest I try. But I don't
> want the trouble of finding out that it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, this is still pretty much the ground that Linux users
must tread over.  If you can't stomach it, you might want to stick with
your legacy OS for now.

You can trial Linux pretty easily -- creating a 200-300 MB partition
should be enough to install a basic system with X, sound, and peripheral
support so you can find out what does and/or doesn't work.  Several
Linux distros support running in demo mode from the CD-ROM directly.
You can also trial stuff with a UMSDOS (Linux over the DOS filesystem)
so that you don't even have to repartition your system.  Just delete the
directory when you're done messing with it.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)