Re: SMP

Peter Bartosch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> >
> > pbruts >Yes, I've heard (she posted here once).  All the documentation I've seen
> > pbruts >for dual P5 boards, and all those that I've talked to, say that such a
> > pbruts >machine can't exist.
> > pbruts >
> > pbruts >I'd like to hear how it was done - maybe it'll work for dual K6-IIs :)
> > pbruts >
> >
> > it's also possible that she just has 2 cpus installed, but the second is
> > not being used. everything i have read says its impossible as well.
>
> all i've read from her shows she is experienced (IIRC ISP ...)
> so she could see the diffrence between one or two CPUs ,-)
>
> until next mail B-)
>
> Peter
Our experience is that the ONLY real off the shelf systems that will be
recognized as SMP are Intel processors. If you are determined to try out
your systems the simple test is to make a boot floppy with a precompiled
SMP Linux kernel image on it. I will be happy to send you a generic one
via e-mail or set it up for download as you wish. If this kernel
recognizes the dual processors, it will say so during the boot process.
I have precompiled 2.2.13 which we are currently shipping on all of our
systems. Best wishes!
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173