Squid on Slink a little sick

Hi folks,

We have a slink system that has been running quite nicely for some time,
which acts as a pretty important server (for us, at least). One of the
functions that it serves is as a proxy server, running squid (the
current slink version, whatever that is).

Yesterday I noticed that it had stopped accepting connections. The proxy
server to which it was chained was still working perfectly, but our
little squid was quite dead. Trying to fetch a URL using squidclient,
for example, just froze (or rather, did nothing). While not responding,
it wasn't logging any connections in any of it's logs.

Having a look via top, it seemed that the parent squid process (is
`parent' the right term - it was the one that the /var/run/squid.pid
defined, anyway) was using 90%+ CPU time. After starting and stoping it,
it climbed to this high CPU usage very rapidly.

The only thing that has changed lately is the proxy we are chaining
through (windoze box - don't ask), but squid worked fine with that proxy
for a while at least, and all the other browsers, etc., can use that
proxy fine by themselves.

Nothing has changed in the squid.conf file during this time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really interested in hearing them.
At the moment I have a hacked-up netcat session running out of inetd to
redirect to the other proxy, but that's hardly an acceptable situation
(and really defeats the purpose of a proxy anyway). If conf/log files
would help diagnose this problem, let me know and I'll post them.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -