Re: where is lpr (or LPRng) ?

On 02/20/00 04:14PM, Steve Brown wrote:
> I have newly installed slink, have an  lp  module, and created a
> printcap file and spooling directory for my HP540 deskjet. What is
> the command to print a file? I have read the printing HOWTO, it
> seems there should be an lpr command, or possibly LPRng, but I
> don't see any sign of them. Also does someone have a very simple
> filter that will work with the base Debian system, just to insert the
> carriage returns?

lpr is in packages LPRng or lpr. It's physical location is
/usr/bin/lpr.

To get printing set up with LPRng (which is what I'm familiar with),
you need to have the following packages installed:

  lprng
  magicfilter
  gs or gs-aladdin (I use gs-aladdin)

if you don't have these installed, use apt to resolve dependencies.

Once they're installed, run (as root) magicfilterconfig --force to
set up a printcap file.

I think the hardest part is getting the device right, but you can
solve that by trying to print a small text file to them until you
get some output:

  cat smallfile.txt > /dev/lp0, etc.

I have an HP printer that has the stairstep effect, but it is solved
with this set up.

hth
 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (