modem in bash

I am trying to get my Practical Periphials 28.8 external modem working
under Debian 2.1.  I have followed the examples in O'Relly's "Running
Linux" and created the following files in /etc/ppp:

my-chat-script

#!/bin/sh
# my-chat-script: a program for dialing up your ISP
exec chat -v       \
     '' ATZ       \
     OK ATDT542-5605   \
     CONNECT ''      \
     ogin: myusername     \
     assword: mypassword  \

ppp-on

#!/bin/sh
# the ppp-on script

exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 28800 lock crtscts noipdefault \
     defaultroute 0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0 connect my-chat-script

I used vi to create these and made sure nothing follows the \
character.  After creating them, I issued a chmod 755 /etc/ppp/filename
command for each file.

When I type ppp-on to begin the execution, nothing happens.  No lights
on the modem change and I am returned to my debian prompt.

Thanks,
Mike