Re: K6 Optimized Debian Binaries

    DM>  In your case a good idea would be -march=i686. Note in this
    DM> case the resulting binary will be only running on PPro and
    DM> above. Consult GCC info page fore more info. You can do
    DM> -mcpu=i686 so that the resulting binary will be running on any
    DM> CPU, but -march should be faster. For instance -march will use
    DM> 'cmov' instruction which is only available on i686. A very
    DM> important switch is -funroll-loops which sometimes provides very
    DM> nice improvement, if not almost always, BUT it's known to be
    DM> buggy sometimes.

Hi Dan,

I would like to recompile kernel 2.2.14 with the extra C flags
"-march=i686 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer" to see what effect it has on
speed and performance.

Where (ie in what makefile and what variable(s)) would I add these flags
?

I use the Debian make-kpkg system to build kernels.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com