Re: K6 Optimized Debian Binaries

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 12:49:19AM -0500, S. Salman Ahmed generated a stream of 1s and 0s:
>     d>  I have been using pgcc compiled kernels since 2.2.x without any
>     d> problems. People should at least be aware that you can optimize
>     d> for your CPU with gcc 2.95.2 with -march=<pentium type> -O3
>     d> -fomit-frame-pointer.
>
> I have an Intel Celeron 300A CPU on one machine, and an Intel Pentium II
> 233 MHz MMX CPU on another machine. What -march setting should I use ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Salman Ahmed
> ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com

In your case a good idea would be -march=i686. Note in this case the
resulting binary will be only running on PPro and above. Consult GCC
info page fore more info. You can do -mcpu=i686 so that the resulting
binary will be running on any CPU, but -march should be faster. For
instance -march will use 'cmov' instruction which is only available on
i686. A very important switch is -funroll-loops which sometimes provides
very nice improvement, if not almost always, BUT it's known to be buggy
sometimes.

--
Get the truth or risk frying your brains! --> www.truthinlabeling.org <--