Re: Newbie made a boo boo surprise surprise

On 20 Feb 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Suggestion:  wipe your install, install a base system, add packages
> few at a time, and get used to your system.  You'll have a much
> better
> understanding, and a much more stable system, this way.

I'm a Linux fairly-newbie, and your advice surprises me. My
conclusion thus far with a little experience with Red Hat, Corel
Linux, and Debian is that the only road to happiness in Linux is to
install every blasted library you can think of, and then maybe you
can start to install new stuff without dependencies stopping your
every effort.

But maybe with apt-get that isn't necessary, although my few attempts
to use that system have not been very successful. I do the apt-get
update and then apt-get install [package], and then it proceeds to
tell me why it didn't do what I asked it to.

OTOH, my only experience with real Debian has been with the CD that
came with the Learning Debian book, and I'm not sure that CD is OK. I
mean, what kind of Linux distro would come without ppp support... and
in spite of following all kinds of guru advice, I was never able to
get that system online.

When potato becomes stable (or however you say that), I'm going to
give Debian another look, and I hope apt-get will actually do for me
what it does for others: not only install the requested packages, but
also fetch any dependencies.
--
Lane
----