Re: Newbie made a boo boo surprise surprise

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 04:41:55PM -0600, Ian Timshel wrote:
> Hi all.
>     I've been lurking for a bit but can't keep the pace on this most active
> list.  I get nasty messages from the postmaster so I'm not subscribed
> regularly.  Please reply privately if you would.

Many people consider requests for off-list responses to be bad
nettiquette.  Collective brain, etc.  I'll generally honor a request
for cc: as reasonable.

>     I've been pounding away at an "Essential Debian 2.1 for the past two
> weeks.  Cheapbytes coughed up what turns out to be a very usable pile of
> packages.  I'm grateful to have the cd.  However after getting the drive
> split up (dual boot with Windoz) and the rules half figured out, I went
> ahead and put too many things on the partition.  While I was investigating
> my troubles with the X config I looked to see what space I had left.  When I
> looked first it was 1K and then promptly dropped to zero.  Opps.  dselect
> wouldn't work without a little room so I gassed (read deleted) a few things
> out of the games directory until I had enough to spool the deselect.  I'll
> get to the point sometime I'm almost sure!

Not clear what problems you're running into, how you want to mitigate
them, or what problems you'd have with a reinstall.

Please post your partition table(s) (fdisk -l for each of your physical
drives, usually /dev/hd[abcd...] and/or /dev/sd[abcd...]), and your
/etc/fstab table to indicate what partitions are what.

The best advice I can give with a Debian install, especially for a
newbie, is to take it slowly.  Install just the base system, then add
packages and support as you need them.  Remember that the advantage of
Debian is its package management system.  It's very easy to add (or
remove) packages from a Debian system, without requiring a reboot, or
even taking the system to single user mode -- I run on-the-fly updates
all the time.

Suggestion:  wipe your install, install a base system, add packages a
few at a time, and get used to your system.  You'll have a much better
understanding, and a much more stable system, this way.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)