Newbie boo boo

>OK, I'm not the kind of the linux rescue, but here I go. :)

>Basicly, you need some space to do anything. (I'm assuming you have
>everything mounted on one partition - If that is not true, you have a
>different problem

And- >off-list responses to be bad nettiquette.  Collective brain, etc.

I'm subscribed and up for another round.

Thanks for the note, however, I'm a little farther down the road.  I can
boot to
both partitions without grief.  I got back in after I deleted the
few games which freed up enough space to play deselet again.  In fact I've
deleted the partitions for Linux and remade them with a new install over top
and still this file is bad.  I can't get X to come up without trouble.  I've
had two goes at a fresh install and still have the problem.  I get
X11TransSocketUNIXConnect:  Can't connect: errno=111.  I know that isn't
enough to go on.  One of the first messages I got goes like this:  "Can't
read "messages.(phase 2.1): no such variable while executing.  "label
$w.waitmsg -text $messages(phase 2.1) file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/phase2.tcl line 25"  Not knowing any better I
tried to change things around on that line but I'm guessing.  I put things
back and went back to the info, man, faq.... till I'm blue!
    I'd have no problem ripping this thing down and starting again but I'm
not convinced that's going to fix it, given that I've done that three times
now.  My next thought was to turn the patition into some kind of dos thing
that I could format differently to ensure that no old information remained
when the Linux fdisk goes in to do its job.
    I have lots of room to play with now.  Well not lots and lots, but a few
hundered megs anyway.  Space is no longer the problem.  Getting the X server
up and stable is the problem.
    I'm pretty comfortable with the deselect and midnight commander now.  I
don't have a problem doing some basic manipulation of files and pemissions.
I've made good use of the documentation.  I'm blown away with how good it
is.  My other experience with OS manuals left me feeling a little tattered.
This stuff is there to help not hinder.  I can feel a die hard fan coming on
strong.
    Sorry for eating up all this band width but I'll get it out of me and
hopefully someone will have enough info that I can tune down the enthusiasm
and get back to work.
    So....
        Valid xdm at boot.  GNU/Linux login screen.  Once logged in it kicks
me back to a textured screen with a mouse curser to play with but nothing
else.  ^alt bksp takes me back to the GUI log in screen.  ^alt F1 takes me
to a console with no error messages.  When I log on there (as root) and
enter startx: "Fatal server error.  Server is already active for display 0.
If the is server is no longer running remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again".
At this point the hard drive is reading like crazy.  Within a few minutes a
message: "unable to load interpreter /etc/X11/Xinit/xinitrc line 3 685
Segmentation fault /etc/X11 /Xinit/xinitrc".  I commented out the line three
and removed the comment on line 7 refering to Xsession and the hard drive
didn't go into over drive, but the server wasn't available either when I
tried startx.  I just got the "remove /tmp/.X0-lock which I can't find.
    All ideas welcome.  who needs sleep anyway.
        Ian.