Re: removed libc6, how to recover

Hola~

>-- On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 05:14:45PM +0100, % wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 16:00:06 -0800, Michael Kevin O'Brien wrote:
> > I'm not saying removing libc6 was a smart idea. I want to know what to do
> > to get my machine back? I've got a boot floppy that I'm hoping works (it's
> > at home and I'm at work as I type this). Assuming I can boot the machine,
> > is it possible to recover to a point where I can install the latest
> > version of libc6???
>
> Assuming the .deb of libc6 is still on your system (in
> /var/cache/apt/archives/), you might try booting from your rescue disk,
> switch to VC2 where you have a shell, mount your regular filesystem(s) under
> /mnt and try something like

How does one boot from the rescue disk? I stick the rescue disk in the drive,
turn on the machine. At the rescue prompt:

    I'm unable to switch to vc2.

    rescue root=/dev/fd0 (w/ rescue floppy still in drive)
        does some work; get to a "VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER"

        just pressing enter (leaving the rescue floppy in the drive):

            Unable to open an initial console.

        putting in a disk made with make zDisk:

So, is there a way to actually get to a login shell using only the rescue
disk???

MO

--

Michael O'Brien