Re: C++ dev environment advice

Michael

I'm sorry not to be more prompt in my reply to this.

Some have advised using the STL -- the Standard Template (not
'type') Library. That is sound advice.

ANSI C++ Standard Document is the athority, but is expensive and
hard to understand unless you are a language lawyer, let alone
being hard to use.

I like Budd's Data Structures with the STL form Addison Wesley
Longman to learn about these libraries. I taught CS 2 using c++ and
this book for several years. It works.  It is at a fairly low level,
that may be a problem if you are looking for a terse presentation.

I didn't have a copy here. So... I looked it up. This URL takes you
to AWL's computer science and engineering page where this book is
described, along with my syllabus I used when we class tested the
book

http://cseng.aw.com/bookdetail.qry?ISBN=0-201-30879-7&ptype=1616

There is Glass and Schuchert, The STL <primer>, an IDG book, that
may help. It is almost telegraphic, as it is an extension of notes
from an industrial course they gave . ISBN 0-13-454976-7

Another book is Musser and Sahn, STL Tutorial and Refrence Guide,
ISBN 0-01-63398-1 Addison Wesley Longman. This is a deep careful
book. Not the place to learn about STL first.

Finally, there is the C++ Programmers Guide to the Standard Template
Library IDG books, ISBN 1-56884-314-3 This has a VERY PC/Windows
bent to it, but it also has a programmer's bent, and is less
textbookish than the Budd. If you can stand the loquacious writing,
it is pretty good. You mention youwant to port a bit of Java code to
C++ under Windows. This may be the place to learn about the STL.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

David
dbt@cs.wcu.edu