C++ dev environment advice

I have a small multithreaded java app that I need to convert to C++. I
am an experienced C and java developer transitioning to C++.

The initial target platform for this app is Windows 98, probably
implemented as a driver.

However, I would like to retain as much cross-platform capability as I
can and I am most used to doing development in linux.

The app needs good thread support (POSIX?) and a few classes like Vector
and Hashtable, otherwise nothing much special.

Does anyone have any advice for me? My company has a microsoft developer
connection subscription so I can get any of that stuff, although I am
unfamiliar with it.

Michael Laing