Re: Sound ES1371 issues

[...]

> Except that "splay wls.wav" works. Maybe splay can't handle .au files?

Nope.  By the docs it does only mp3s and .wavs.

> > > When I "cat wls.wav > /dev/dsp" I get nasty squeals. When I "cat jesus.au
> > >
> > > "saytime" sometimes results in a quick blip, sometimes in a choppy "The time
> > > is now four-twenty-blip".
> >
> > That sounds like the driver.  What kernel revision are you using?
> >

> 2.2.9

Try upgrading to a newer kernel - I've had good results with kernels newer
than 2.2.10 (the card was unusable with anything older) as well as with
2.3.x.

[...]

> es1371: version v0.11 time 13:52:44 Feb 16 2000
> es1371: found adapter at io 0x1080 irq 11
> es1371: features: joystick 0x0
> es1371: codec vendor CRY revision 3
> es1371: codec features Headphone out 18bit DAC 18bit ADC
> es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement

I get the same info.

> and a little further down is:
>
> es1371: dma timed out??
> es1371: dma timed out??
> es1371: dma timed out??

I used to see those until I upgraded the kernel (iirc, it's been quite a
while since I've had to think about this sound card not working :))

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein