Re: Sound ES1371 issues

> I've been trying off-and-on for months to get sound working
> on this box. The Readme's and HOWTOs and Dogpile searches
> just aren't answering my questions.
>
> I've got an ES1371 (Audio PCI 97) sound card (from Gateway
> Computers in an E-4200 box).
>
> First Question: When running "make menuconfig", I go into
> the "Sound" entry and then press "m" on "Sound Card Support"
> to make it a module. This expands into several other
>
>     Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1370)
>     Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371)
>     S3 Sonic Vibes
>     Support for Turtle Beach MultiSound Classic, Tahiti,
> Monterey
>     Support for Turtle Beach MultiSound Pinnacle, Fiji
>     OSS  Sound Modules
>
> Having read that some es1371 boards are actually es1370s, I
> selected both Ensoniq and marked them with an "m" to make
> them modules.

Ok.

> I don't really understand the difference between the OSS
> Sound Modules and the others above that. I kindda thought
> that all the sound drivers in the kernel were OSS drivers,
> but this leads me to think that there are two types: the
> ones that are not OSS, and the ones that are.

Technically they're all OSS drivers - they all support the same
programming interfaces.  The 'OSS Sound Modules' are what used to be known
as OSS/Lite - a freely available version of the Open Sound System drivers,
which are payware and available for many Unix (and Unix-like) operating
systems.

> Anyway, if I "M" the OSS Sound Modules entry, I see that the
> "100% Sound Blaster Compatibles" includes "ESS", and I
> wonder if this is necessary for support of my card. Even
> though my card is an "ES" and not an "ESS", I still have my
> suspicions.

You don't need anything under the OSS Sound Modules.

> So my first question: Do I just need the ES1371, or do I
> need the ES1371 and the ES1370, or do I need the ES1371, the
> ES1370, and the OSS with 100% SB Compatible, or do I need
> some other combination?

You need es1371 (based on your output from lspci below) and nothing else.

> Second question: I'm assuming that I can install this/these
> drivers as modules rather than compiling them directly into
> the kernel. Is that a correct assumption?

That's correct.

> Okay, having compiled the ES1370 and ES1371 drivers in as
> modules, and having done a make dep, make clean, make
> bzImage, make modules, and make modules_install, and having
> copied the arch/i386/bzImage file to /boot/vmlinuz and
> modifying my lilo.conf file as necessary and re-running lilo
> and rebooting, I'm supposed to see (according to what I've
> read) references to the sound card fly by at boot time.

Ok.

> Yet I don't see such a thing. Furthermore, according to the
> HOWTOs, etc, I'm supposed to be able to do a "cat
> /dev/sndstat", yet that returns a "No such device" error.
> The /dev/sndstat file does exist.

Did you edit /etc/modules to load the sound driver at boot time?
Unfortunately Debian's 'PnP' isn't as smart as RedHat's.

> I suspect the problem is IRQ,DMA,IOport-related, but the
> HOWTOs seem to focus on ISA PnP cards rather than PCI, so
> I'm a little confused. I have learned enough to run "lspci
> -v" which returns quite a bit of info on various cards
> (ethernet, ISA bridge, etc); it also has the following:
>
> 00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371
> [AudioPCI-97] (rev 06)
>  Subsystem: Ensoniq: Unknown device 1371
>  Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 96, IRQ 11
>  I/O ports at 1080
>  Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

You don't need to worry about IRQs and what not - this is a PCI sound card
- the BIOS takes care of all that at boot time.

> When I try to play sounds (using sox or splay, etc, or
> saytime), I sometimes get garbled sound, but more often than
> not, messages like "no such output file" or "no such
> device", etc. Hopefully someone can help me figure out where
> to go from here.

A quick summary:

* Run 'modprobe es1371'
* Try to play a sound file - I like to use the package sox for that; it
  works better than cat'ing the file to /dev/dsp.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein