Samba upgrade, password issue

I have just upgraded my Samba to a 2.0.4 stable version. The old one
must have been running for a year or two, not sure which version it was.
At first I panicked because al my passwords refused to work. After some
RTFM I learned that Samba now holds a seperate password file smbpasswd.
It used to grap passwords from the general passwd list.
As far as I can see I now need to manage two seperate lists. This seems
to be a bit of a downgrade, or am I missing something?

--
  Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl>